If you’re facing a serious medical diagnosis, you’re likely very worried about your future. The doctors may be confident that they can give you life-saving treatment, but it’s going to be expensive and it’s going to take a long time. This is not an easy path to take.
You may also be worried about the way that this disease is going to impact your personal life. For instance, studies have found that men are more likely to file for divorce when their wives are diagnosed with a serious disease than the other way around. Women are more likely to remain married in that scenario. But this still shows that disease can certainly lead to divorce, and you must know what steps to take.
Important questions to ask
If your condition does lead your spouse to ask for a divorce, there are numerous questions that you’re going to want to ask. A few of them include the following:
- How would you divide the assets that you already own?
- How is this going to impact your medical insurance and treatment?
- Do you have a right to your spouse’s pension plan or other benefits?
- If you have children, how should custody time be divided?
- Is your health condition going to have an impact on your ability to have custody of the kids?
- What can you do to plan now for a successful future?
You have found yourself in a difficult position, but the thing to remember is that you are certainly not alone. Many other people are also in this position every year, and there are solutions. Just take the time to look into your legal options.