Practical Solutions, Personal Service
Photo of Lisa L. Johnson

Can I request support from my child’s father even if we are unwed?

On Behalf of | Oct 26, 2023 | Father's rights & paternity

In Kentucky, if your child was born out of wedlock, the father does not have the right to request custody or visitation over your child. Correspondingly, they also do not have the responsibility to provide support. If you want to demand support from your child’s father, you can explore certain options.

Establishing their paternity

By signing a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity (VAP) or initiating a paternity action in court, you can establish your child’s father’s paternity and attribute parental rights and responsibilities to them.

But how do you know which remedy to pursue? If you and the other parent voluntarily agree to establish their paternity, you can proceed with a VAP. However, if the father refuses to acknowledge their child, you can initiate a paternity action in court and have it order the father to pay support. In either case, the court may or may not order genetic testing.

Enforcing child support

If the court approves the petition and issues a judgment establishing your child’s father’s paternity, it will also issue terms relating to their visitation rights and support obligation. When determining the support amount, the court considers several factors, including the parents’ incomes and the number of shared children, in accordance with the state guidelines.

Finding a practical solution for your situation

Any support you can get from your coparent will significantly help you nurture your child’s growth and development. This is a great motivator to find the best course of action that will help you successfully acquire support from the other parent.